Removing Tar Adhesive on Basement Floor

Old 11-11-03, 11:30 PM
joest73
Visiting Guest
Removing Tar Adhesive on Basement Floor

I am re-finishing the basement in the 30 year old house we purchased last year and found tile squares glued to the concrete floor with tar adhesive?

Aside from scraping the entire floor is there an easier method to remove the tar?

Old 11-16-03, 02:12 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had the same situation. The black adhesive was bonded to the concrete floor real weel so I saw no reason to remove. In order to provide a smooth surface I used a self leveling portland cement product. Can't remember the name but it was green and I mixed it with a latex additive (no water). Applied it with a notched trowel and then smoothed it. After drying I sanded it with a comercial floor scrubber with a 80-100 mesh screen. Troweled over a second coat to clean up any imperfections and then saned it a gain. Came out of it with a perfectly restored concrete floor.

I would not remove the black adhesive unless it is peeling. Also call up a businness that provides supplies to comercial masons. They will have the right stuff.

Good luck!

Old 11-19-03, 12:20 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
The old black tile adhesives rotinely had asbestos mixed in them. Try and bury it under something instead of removing it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: