another concrete question.....basement floor

Old 12-08-03, 09:42 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
another concrete question.....basement floor

my house is 3 months old now. I noticed in the basement in one of the corners, there is a crack going across the floor where the bump out is for the front stoop/porch. the crack goes fron wall to wall and is 10 feet long. is this normal for being this 'young' of a house? they did cut lines in the concrete but this line travels right next to it. i think the 4" pcv pipe for drain is around there also...

Old 12-10-03, 06:04 AM
Stacy
Visiting Guest
crack in basement floor

One thing that you might want to do is contact your contractor, and find out what kind of guarantee they have on this type of situation. With the house only being 3 months old, you should still have some kind of warranty on the structure or foundation.

Good Luck,

Stacy

Old 12-10-03, 07:42 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
The warranty will probably contain a limit on crack size. More than 3/16-inch wide or height offset is a common number. Cracks less than this will be considered 'normal'. Often ugly, but normal. You can fill the crack with grey caulk. Do not fill it with anything ridgid like mortar. You will need to wait and see if it continues to grow or move.

Old 12-10-03, 09:43 AM
A
Called the builder.....said they do not warranty concrete work(i have heard that alot lately). he said its normal. he mentioned some epoxy floor sealer/paint to cover it.

i guess ill try that.

its kinda funny though. i built a new house so i wouldnt have to worry about fixing problems and replacing stuff. between this and my driveway fiasco....im plenty busy

Old 12-10-03, 11:12 AM
Stacy
Visiting Guest
crack in floor

From pesonal experience, do not go with an epoxy. It will crack and water will start to come in through it. What you want to do is find a flexible sealer, that way, when your home shifts (settles) the sealer will flex and not reopen that crack. It's hard to believe that they don't warranty anything on the concrete structure of the home. Maybe you should ask the contractor what they warranty on the structural integrity of the home--I would think that this would fall into that category...

Good Luck,

Stacy

Old 12-10-03, 02:08 PM
A
the builder said on the basement floors there isnt a warranty against cracking but if the foundation walls fail...they would do something

Old 12-11-03, 07:44 AM
Stacy
Visiting Guest
That is so messed up. You would think that the foundation is the most important before the walls. Sounds fishy to me. And what is the time limit assuming that something happens to the walls, that he gave you? Maybe you should get something in writing from this contractor now, before you end up with further problems, that he obviously won't assume responsibility for. And if you signed a contract with him to do the work initially, get a copy and read the fine print. There might be something in there to help you. It sounds to me like his credibility might be questionable, and possibly if your problem persists, well worth looking into.

Stacy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: