castle-like rounded turret in cultured stone?

Old 12-22-03, 12:26 PM
blipszyc
Visiting Guest
castle-like rounded turret in cultured stone?

My wife and I are building a new home. We found plans that currently have a octogonal shaped room off the front of the house. My wife would like to have that rounded, but the builder said that rounding the foundation, and framing and walls would add $20K to the price. My question is, can we keep the foundation and framing and walls octogonal, but use the mortar and stone to make the exterior look rounded? How difficult is something like this, and does it add much cost, besides the extra labor of placing the stone? (BTW, this won't be a true stone wall, but a stone facade using Cultured Stone)

Old 12-23-03, 06:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The veneer stone follows the wall its put on, it would probaly cost more to pad out the foundation and the walls later on.
The builder probaly doesn't want to build the round walls and thats why he said $20,000 extra to scare you away from that ideal.

Old 12-24-03, 10:28 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you want a rounded-wall element, investigate the various silo constructions.

Some are made of concrete staves (normally) held together with threaded-rod 'hoops'. I have seen them with the interior finished with a waterproofing and used as water tanks. If you didn't want to deal with the hoops, my guess is a surface-bonding method is available.

http://www.mariettastructures.com/silos/stavesilo.htm

Keep the builder away from that aspect of the construction and have a silo company build it for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: