brick damage/repair?

Old 12-28-03, 07:13 AM
tjrwilson
Visiting Guest
brick damage/repair?

I am looking at a brick house. I'm not ready to make an offer so I don't want to bring a housing inspector into the pic yet.
THe house is 120 years old. THe bricks look good, but the mortar between them appears to need some help in some places.
Is there a way for me to look at it and get a good idea if major repairs will be needed? How can I tell if it needs repointing?
Thanks

Old 12-28-03, 07:19 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When the mortar is coming out, repointing is the usual method of repair. It may be worthwhile to have a mason look at it to give you a feel for the scope of the work involved. Mortar in brick as old as this is different from modern mortar and needs to be matched when repointing to avoid damaging the structure.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-03, 08:58 AM
tjrwilson
Visiting Guest
There were a few missing bricks around the windows that they must have "forgot" to replace when the windows were put in.
It seems like it will need repointing at least in certain parts. I'll call around to see if I can find somebody that would go out and take a look when my parents have an apt to check it out again for me (I'm 4 hours away, they are 45 mins).
I have no idea what repointing would cost and would guess it will depend on how big the house is and location, but do you have a general idea of what I'd be looking at cost wise?
Is it by sq ft or size of the house?

Is repointing an all or nothing type of thing? If only certain areas are in need of help and others seem perfectly fine, would the entire house be done, or just the damaged areas?

Old 12-28-03, 09:18 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Normally, you repoint only as needed. Usually priced by the square foot, it is quite expensive. Of course, the alternative deterioration of the wall will be more so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: