Stain and seal brick

Old 01-02-04, 01:58 PM
dewyman
Visiting Guest
Stain and seal brick

I have a 1969 rambler with brick on the front. They put in different color bricks and we don't think it looks very good. We are going to paint the house this spring and would like to clean, stain and seal the brick to match or accent the house siding. I know I have to repair all brick and mortar problems. What is the best method to clean the brick? Power wash? Then I want to stain it with concrete stain to match the house. I have a good airless spayer and think I can just spray on two coats before sealing. Also, I would spray on the sealer.

Does anyone have tips and cautions in what I want to do? I don't want to create a maintenance nightmare.

Thanks
Doug

Old 01-02-04, 03:37 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A power wash with bleach 25% in water with a bit of tide will clean the bricks. Rinse thoroughly. Don't use too fine a tip to avoid damaging the mortar. Unless you are to use a water based stain and sealer, I would let it dry for at least a week to prevent adhesion problems.

I don't want to create a maintenance nightmare.
Brick is almost free of maintenance needs. Anything you do to it will require more maintenance.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-04, 04:09 PM
dewyman
Visiting Guest
Does the plan I have above seem to be the best way to change the color of the brick? I know there will be more maintainance than bare brick, but I want to use the method with the least maintainance.

Also, how long should I wait between coats of stain?

Old 02-19-04, 07:28 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It appears that you have a good plan. I would follow the directions on the can of stain for drying times.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: