Standing water in driveway

Old 01-04-04, 01:27 PM
Cappy
Visiting Guest
Question Standing water in driveway

I have an asphalt driveway that is pitched away from the house and garages. My issue is when it rains I have a lake in my driveway! The driveway has grass around the 2 sides where the problem is.

I think, you can tell me, that I want to dig a "manhole" type drain that will just allow the water to drain into the ground. I thought about curtain drains but the slope to get it "downward" is too far away.

Can someone tell me the proper way to dig, how deep, material, etc for this type of drain?

Thanks!

Cappy.

Old 01-04-04, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Personally, I wouldn't cut or dig the driveway, but the ground adjacent to it on the downslope side.
Dig a sloped trench alongside the driveway at the "lake". Fill it half full with gravel, and then lay perforated plastic drain tile with sleeve (to prevent dirt and silt getting into it) and then cover it with gravel and the removed sod.
This will drain the "lake" water away into the drainpipe itself (if it will handle the capacity), or to a drainage ditch, or to an underground dry well sump pit filled with block and brick scrap, gravel, etc.
Easier and less expensive.
Good Luck!

Old 01-04-04, 04:11 PM
Cappy
Visiting Guest
Problem is, the downslope side would have to be dug 2 to 3 feet for at least 20 - 25ft to get it "downsloping". Should I still do this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: