Cement "cap" over half brick porch wall

Old 02-04-04, 08:39 AM
janajayj
Visiting Guest
Question Cement "cap" over half brick porch wall

Hi,
I am trying to put together a project for this spring to redo my front porch. I have a house over 100 years old and want to keep it in its time...the front porch at the moment has the wrought iron around and it just doesnt suit the house.
I am wanting to put in a "lattice" work brick with columns at each corner but do not know how to attach the brick to my house and how to finish off the top raw edge of it. It will not be a solid wall but with spaces between each brick...some sort of cement cap is what I have seen on similiar older homes but I dont know how to make this. The one I loved has a rolled bottom edge on each side. Hope I described my task well enough for someone to help me. THANK YOU SOO MUCH!
Jana

Old 02-07-04, 09:29 PM
ilketile
Visiting Guest
when you say attach to house what is the exterior of house where you r attaching to made of.

these kind of walls are usually 2 brick wide for the suppor and strength. the top rolled over edge is either morter that is stiff and just hand formed with a trial. or you can build a box. meaning take t pieces of wood depending on how high you want it as long as they will extend down past top of brick a little way nail to wall in joint only as much as need to hold up and put cross pieces of wood on top from one board to other board on othes side to hold together. dump in some concrete or morter and make you a gig out of a piece of plywoo that will fit inbetween your forms with bottow of jig in shape you want top of wall . use it to for concrete by repeatly pulling across top on concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: