Need to clean stone wall in home

Old 02-15-04, 09:16 PM
KSP
Visiting Guest
Need to clean stone wall in home

I have a woodburning stove in my family room. It sits on a pedastal of stone in the corner and part of 2 walls are completely made of stone behind it. It is a beautiful addition to the room and really shows off the stove.
After years (nearly 20), the stone has started to shows signs of discoloration. What started out as beautiful natural looking creams, grays and tan stones with gray grout they have all started to look quite yellowed.
Is there something safe to use that will bring back the natural colors and clean them up?
While at a local home store I was told to use some sort of acid but that it was extremely toxic and would require plenty of venilation....not an option now since its mid-winter in Ohio.
So was hoping to use maybe a commercial bleach-type product or similiar.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Susi

Old 02-16-04, 04:10 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mopar

Try using regular vinagar full strenght with scrub brush.

Before using muratic acid.

Old 02-21-04, 06:10 PM
h.h.
Visiting Guest
I would stay away from the acids.They will not do any good and will only etch your stone and grout.They also need to be well rinsed,a process best done outside.
The best solution is a good household cleaner(TSP or simple green)maybe with a little dishsoap and a lot of scrubbing with a stiff brush.Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: