Slab foundation on sloped land

Old 02-21-04, 06:32 PM
jdgibson
Visiting Guest
Question Slab foundation on sloped land

I'm thinking about building a detached 3 car garage on a section of my property to use as a workshop. The area is free of trees, but does slope a bit. I haven't measured it - but as a guess it would drop 3'-4' over the 30' width of the structure. The building would be made of steel trusses (similar to Miracle Truss) and the ground is refered to as "decompossed granite" up in the mountains of Colorado.

My two guesses would be to (1) build up the grade with additional material and then pour a standard slab with deep sides (30" frost line) or (2) pour a concrete footing and foundation wall like a crawl space or basement and then fill in the interior with material and top with the slab.

Does this sound like the right way to go or is there a better alternative? I would hire out the work, but I'm trying to get an idea of how it would look. I would love to hear from a foundation contractor on a guestimate price range - but understand that it is difficult to impossible via a message board.

Old 02-21-04, 06:42 PM
h.h.
Visiting Guest
Block retainer with well compacted fill material topped with slab.Rebar tying the wall to the slab.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: