footings versus slab

Old 02-22-04, 10:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
footings versus slab

I have an add-on room, that is presently supported by cinder blocks. These blocks are stacked in "pillar form" in various places under the room. The cinder blocks rest directly on the ground, therefore, over the years have settled. I'd like to pour either a slab under the room, and level the room up, or as a friend suggested, pour footings, and places the cinder blocks on the footings. Which is the best way to go? How thick should the slab or footings be? The room is approximately 12'x26'. I was told 4" thick should be enough, but I don't want to have to redo this again in a couple years.

Old 02-22-04, 01:50 PM
M
footings

Since you say that you do not want a do over in a couple of years, it sound to me like you want to do it right. The right way would be to dig a footer out around the peremeter of building directly under existing outside walls.

Depending on how much push is going to be exerted on these walls as you fill back in the dirt, will determine size of block.

If no fill is required you should be able to get by with 8 inch block.

In this case, the footer should be 16 inches wide never less more is better. 4 inches of concrete is fine for a slab in basement where no structure will sit on it but for a footer it is woefully inadequate, building codes in your area will tell you proper depths and widths.

Depth of concrete should be minimum of 6 inches with atleast two three eighths inch re-bar embedded in to the concrete pour.

Eight inches will probably get you past any building code, but more then this, is just adding to the weight of the footing with out helping much, width helps more than depth.

If you decide you need twelve or ten inch block, remember to adjust width of footer accordingly 24 inches for 12 and 20 inches for 10.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-22-04, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the info!!! It definately gives me a place to start (after starting in the wallet! **GRIN!** )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: