Addition foundation

Old 02-23-04, 10:52 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Addition foundation

I want to build a one story addition to my 2 story colonial. The addition will serve to extend kitchen and bath and actually extend one side of the house 3 ft. It will be around 25 ft long and will be attached to the side of the house facing backyard. My house has full basement. Since the addition will be long and narrow I do not think to dig a basement under it is a feasible idea. So I am considering building a slab on grade foundation with crawl space and insulating floor over the addition. Is it fine to build a slab on grade with crawl space addition foundation attached to house foundation with basement? What issues should I consider when planning this? What's the best way to build the addition foundation footings and walls? Since it is on backyard I worry concrete delivery track hose will not reach there. Should I consider building foundation walls from concrete blocks instead of pouring them with concrete? The amount of concrete especially for footing won't be much and a concrete delivery company may not agree to deliver such small amount. Should I order coarse aggregate, sand, but Portland cement in bags and rent a mixer and make concrete myself on site? I do have some concrete experience but never built foundations and never ordered concrete delivery so expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-25-04, 05:14 AM
C
It may be that the building code will dictate many of the things you ask.

Mixing cement manually is a lot of work and expense. It may be a winner to order it delivered. I believe the concrete company will deliver any amount you want. Small amounts tend to be incrementally more expensive, but you may be able to get part of a load coordinated with another delivery.

I looked at mixing a yard myself. I found that by the time I would buy all the materials, manage delivery, and be ready for a lot of back-breaking work that I had already committed to more than the cost of ready mix delivered.

The style of foundation and how to attach to the existing structure might be better asked in Architecture and Codes in the Real Estate and Finance section.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-25-04, 08:41 AM
A
[Thanks for response. My major concern with concrete delivery is not a price but the fact that addition is along side of the house facing backyard. So I worry concrete truck delivery hose won't be able to reach the addition place from the driveway in fron of the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: