A few home repair questions.....

Old 02-27-04, 08:39 PM
GeorgeM3
Visiting Guest
A few home repair questions.....

Hello, this is my first post here, looks like a nice site you have going on here. First a little backround. Tommorow i'm off to fix up an old house. Unfortunetely, it is in violation of the housing code for a couple of reasons. I don't have a lot of experience in fixing up stuff around the house and will need all the help I can get, we really would not like to hire anyone because we've dumped too much $$ in this place. If you guys can give me ANY advice as to how to fix these problems I would be GREATLY appreciative. Now, on to the list........

1.Two window sills on the back of the home are rotten and need to be replaced. The sub sill is the concrete foundation that needs to be sloped away from these windows.

2.Garage foundation leaks water inside that needs to be replaced on 3 sides of garage. Replace brick work and aluminum siding to seal the garage exterior walls.

3.Fasten gutter over the garage door back to the house.

4.Bacement ductwork in closet needs to be secured and tape leaking joints.

For #1, can we just replace the window sills instead of getting the whole window? The rest of it is kind of confusing too, as this was how they wrote the letter to us and it doesn't seem clear to me.

Once again, any help would be awesome.

Thanks
George

Old 02-28-04, 03:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

1. You can cut out the rotted sills with a reciprocating saw, and shape new ones out of pressure-treated 2Xs. Look at properly made window sills on other houses, and duplicate them to match this house. Seal around them cualk that can be painted. Prime and paint the sills.
2. You'll have to have a better description of the problem to determine how to handle this. You may not have to replace the brick. Maybe you can seal them, if the bricks and the mortar are OK.
3. Check the fascia board behind the gutter for damage first.
4. Easy enough.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: