driveway repair

Old 02-28-04, 01:53 PM
Mom2Z
Visiting Guest
driveway repair

We just moved into a house that has an asphalt driveway that is in pretty bad condition. We won't be able to have it completely redone for several years but we'd like to patch what we can ourselves. The biggest problem area is a pothole about 2 feet long, 1 foot wide, and is as deep as 5 inches in one spot. What would you recommend for fixing that and the other much smaller ruts?

Thanks!

Old 02-29-04, 03:03 PM
Resaw
Visiting Guest
I don;t know about the large hole. But I've used some asphault patch that was awesome. They people that sold it to me said the borough used it for small pot holes. I used it to to make a ramp from the street to a newly installed paver apron for a driveway. At first i was sketchy about it, because a week or two later, it was a little soft still. But finally, i went by and it was HARD. That stuff isn't going anywhere for a while. I wish i knew the name for it. It came in a plastic bag, like potting soil comes in. And had a black lable with writing. There was another type that quickrete made, but the guys said everyone used the stuff in the plastic bag. Anyway, sorry i can't provide so much info.

By the way, the suff was really easy to install. A little cleaning of the surface you are patching is required, and then i tamped it into place with a hand tamper. (it's a little messy, but worth it) The package also said you could drive on it very soon after instalation. Talk to someone knowledgeable about it.

Good Luck.

Old 03-01-04, 01:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Go to the local home center (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) and look/ask for cold patch. Its either in a bag or a bucket. If its 5" deep hole, you throw some stone in the bottom first. You can fill almost any sized hole with that product. Minimum thickness i would recommend for a larger patch is 1.5 - 2", anything thinner will recrack.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: