cracked concrete

Old 03-01-04, 11:02 AM
R
rmaze
Visiting Guest
cracked concrete

I have a 6 x 36 concrete porch across the front of my house which was built 5 years ago. Last spring I had it completely torn out, down to the footer and redone because it had sunk in the middle and raised up on each end. Within weeks of finishing this second time, the porch started to crack. It now has four cracks which are completely through--not just hairline cracks. What could have caused this? I really don't want to have it torn out again. Any suggestions on how to cover it? Anything besides carpet?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-04, 08:59 PM
B
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
The original problem sounds like a poor subbase casued it. If you just put new concrete on top of the same base, you will have variations of the same problems over and over again. Concrete slabs on grade depend on a well graded, self-draining, compacted subbase. A good concrete mix and proper placement & cure are important, but the best slab will crack, settle, and/or heave without a proper base.

Old 03-07-04, 05:12 PM
C
conc chick
Visiting Guest
Check your downspouts. Are they emptying any where near your porch. If so, the water could be undermining the porch and causing your problem. If that is not the problem, look around the porch and see if water could be draining in from somewhere else. You may also want to check for rabbits/small animals that could be burrowing under the porch causing a void.

If you don't want to replace it again in the near future, if there is a void, mudjacking can fill the void without tearing out the porch.

Good luck.