House holes

Old 03-08-04, 06:53 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
House holes

I live in a ranch-style house. At the top of my exterior walls there is a recess about 6 inches back. 4 inches up from that is where the roof is attached. Within that recess is a cavity about 2 inches deep by two inches wide the length of the house (divided up in about 12 inch spaces).

Anyway, many birds have found a home in there. I have tried cutting wood and blocking it up but they usually find a way to get through that too. Anyone thing quickcrete is a bad idea? Would it work?

Old 03-09-04, 10:21 AM
C
I am having difficulty envisioning what the space looks like.

Are the birds getting into the space and nesting or getting into the attic?

The pieces of wood you cut won't fill the holes entirely? The pieces cover most of the exterior of the opening and the birds work them loose?

Is it possible to fill the hole but the wood can't be cut to fit it, so a filler like quikcrete seems like a good idea? Is it possible to cover the opening completely with a sheet of some material?

I am trying to get an idea of what the opening looks like.

There is nothing inherently wrong with quikcrete as a filler. Wire screening can be stretched over some openings and stapled in place to great benefit. Some exterior trim products can cover openings and give a finished look.

Old 03-09-04, 12:10 PM
M
Thanks for your response.

Birds can get into the spaces. On the front, left corner of the house, they went from the space into the attic & built a nest. I put a block of wood in a few of the sections (2" x 2" x 6") which completely shut them off. It helped for several months, but somehow they made there way through the wood.

Basically, I am wondering if there is a better filler than wood. It seems that various critters can make there way through it. That's when I dreamed up the idea of something like quickcrete that was initially less rigid (and therefore easier to install) and eventually more rigid (and therefore harder to get through)...

Old 03-09-04, 12:34 PM
K
im not sure i have a good visual either, but if these areas arent for attic ventallation could you use the spray foam insullation or would it look tacky?

Old 03-09-04, 05:29 PM
J
Received 521 Upvotes on 426 Posts
Would spray foam in a can work? It will expand to fill any hole completely. I can't get a visual picture of your problem.

Old 03-09-04, 06:10 PM
M
Alright, here is a picture of the problem. At the bottom of the picture is the exterior brick wall. At the top of the picture is the gutter. Everything else is there to support the roof I assume.

If you look at those screens that let air into the attic; just below them is the problem. You can slide your fingers into a little gap all the way along the house that is about two inches deep. Well, birds love this area & have made some nests in it. They have actually worked their way into the attic by doing this.

I am just curious how you would all fill up the holes. The wood thing didn't work & foam might be noticeable.

Thanks for the responses & sorry I haven't been more clear.

Marcus

Old 03-09-04, 06:11 PM
M
Try again...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: