Concrete driveway..

Old 03-31-04, 04:34 PM
Arties1945
Visiting Guest
Concrete driveway..

Im in the process of getting bids on replacing my driveway, and wanted to ask a question about the methods. Ive received two bids so far and one of the contractors suggestion scoring instead of expansion joints. He says that by scoring if the concrete is going to crack from movement it will crack at the point of where he has scored the concrete and not the rest of the slab. Im talking an area of approxitmatly 30x30ft. On the other hand another contractor is going to use expansion joints. Which is the best method? Oh, I should have added that with the scoring, this would not allow water to get underneath the concrete and cause errosion. Im going to be spending a lot of money and I want it wright. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-04, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not a concrete pro, but IMO the expansion joints would be less susceptible to cracking than the scoring, but would also require more maintance down the road. But now that I think about it, most driveways in new construction have an expansion joint where it meets the house & the rest is scored. Just my $.02 worth, there'll be some other opinions here soon I'm sure.

Old 03-31-04, 10:20 PM
construction hand
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
my opinion is that expansion joints are better than scoring. Maybe putting compacted gravel as a base would help the water drainage to prevent erosion.

Old 04-01-04, 02:56 PM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
My driveway has alot of clay underneath, how deep should i go before putting concrete?

How many expansion joints should be used, every ten feet?