raising the slab level?

Old 04-05-04, 10:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
raising the slab level?

I built a 16' X 20' shop on a poured slab, problem started when I had sidewalks and small driveway added. They were poured level with the slab and now when we get one of those famous N. Texas thunderstorms the rain will blow under the bottom plate and puddle in the shop. I have tried caulking/flashing to repel the water w/o much luck. Even cut a small channel in the concrete which helped but only a little. Short of ripping up the sidwalk and drive, is there anything I can do?
I was thinking of pouring a brickledge around the shop and raising the level of the floor a couple of inches. This would require remodeling the front, which is mainly a garage door and an entry door. Just wondering which is the lesser of two evils.

Thanks,
Hal

Old 04-06-04, 05:05 PM
C
Would gutters help?

Old 04-07-04, 06:07 AM
the water comes from the blowing rain. Hits the sidewalk/drive and blows under the bottom plate on the stud wall.

Old 04-07-04, 12:58 PM
C
Astro turf might keep the rain from bouncing when it hits, preventing it from being driven under the sill plate. This might be coupled with a lip to keep the water away from the building once on the sidewalk.

Old 04-07-04, 09:01 PM
M
waterlog

Have you consideres a couple of course of brick against build topped by either a stone cap or brick rollock? Behind this of course tarring the wall and part of footer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: