cracks in bricks

Old 04-06-04, 06:35 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cracks in bricks

I have a 20 year old house with brick veneer. There are 2 cracks running from the corner of a window to the bottom of the wall. The cracks run through the bricks and mortar joints, and are very thin, approximately 1/16". They don't appear to have resulted from any structural problem, but I would like to repair them to prevent water from getting in. Is there a product made for this purpose? I have seen some elastomeric formulas, but they are made for mortar repair, or are white in color. My brick is 3 different shades of red. Thanks for your help!

Peter

Old 04-06-04, 07:57 PM
C
If the bricks are broken, having a mason look at the damage is a good idea to decide if there is more to it than meets the eye.

Old 04-07-04, 09:22 PM
M
Cracks

If I were you, I would hire a mason as suggested to cut out each cracked brick, with masnory saw, and remove mortar from crack head joints. Replace cracked brick, What caused these cracks if not structural, then has to be stress, therefore if you have your mason take the saw and cut from corner of window down to the bottom of brick work, and then fill this void with outdoor grey colored masonry looking caulk to match or hopefully come close to mortar. This will give you an expansion and or control joint so that if there is stress fractures in the future it will crack in the straight line cut and will not show itself because the caulk will give with the movement of the shifting brick.

It would be good if mason could rebuild this section with the control joint, in place and there for carry the control all the way through the wall and would look more professional.

This as stated to you before, would be something for the brick mason to help you with and offer in put, as he will be looking at what he has to do, where as we can only speculate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: