concrete driveway washout question....

Old 04-07-04, 08:23 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
concrete driveway washout question....

last year I had my driveway done on my new house. last fall and spring my yard settled and now i have a problem. about 4 feet from the foundation it has settled and is no longer supporting the concrete. It is rebar-ed into the wall but is unsupported all the way accross.
my question is....can i use some \expandable foam to help under there? i cant get enough sand under to do any good and to pour cement under it wouldnt help. I could mud-jack it but that costs too much. I would rather cut out that section and replace it.

or should i just leave it alone until it fails?

Old 04-07-04, 12:59 PM
C
I would rather cut out that section and replace it.
That might be the thing to do. It would avoid further damage and be something you scheduled instead of reacting to.

Old 04-07-04, 09:56 PM
M
driveway

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Shovel dirt in re landscape and go on.

It might never break, it might break tomorrow.

If it does break at some later time, your homeowners insurance will cover the work, but not until it breaks, before that you pay.

Old 04-08-04, 06:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If I understand your post, you essentially have a 'tunnel' under your driveway. If so, your driveway is gonna break sooner or later.

Was this caused by settling, or erosion, or both? Whatever the cause, I would recommend that you remove the section(s) over the 'tunnel' (cut the slab at an expansion crack) and add well compacted fill. If there's an erosion problem, get the water diverted away from the driveway, or put in some drainage piping under the driveway.

Old 04-08-04, 09:44 AM
millertime
Visiting Guest
if it looks fine right now, and you dont want to spend any money, then leave it until it breaks.

exactly how much rebar was used?

Old 04-09-04, 01:37 PM
A
dave... yep, I have a tunnel all the way under. Its 6 inches down from the concrete and 4 feet wide. They rebared every 4 feet on a 16 foot driveway.
The gap is caused by settling. I dont think they did a good job compacting the ground. My water wasnt on at the time of building.
I also noticed in the lower walk out level(split level house) on the outside corners....the concrete sounds hollow when walking or tapping on it. The same is true for the garage...it seems like the ground is settling but we havent had alot of rain and im not low on the water table. Is the interior floors going to give me problems down the road? Im putting down laminate wood floors and there wont be alot of weight near the corners.

Is it true insurance covers driveway repairs? I Dont mind replacing the driveway...hell Ill do it myself. I was going to but I came in under budget for the house....so I figured Id let someone else do the sweating.

thanks for all the help

Old 04-09-04, 02:50 PM
If it isn't erosion, then it's almost definitely settling. Wonder if your concrete guy thought having the crew walk around on the dirt before the pour would give enough compaction.

That hollow sound on the sidewalk and garage floor may be settling, too. Did the same guy pour those, as well?

I would call the concrete guy and ask him to fix the problem(s). If he won't (and I'm betting on it), call your insurance company. They may want to go after him and they have more clout than you.

Good Luck

Old 04-09-04, 04:44 PM
C
Is it true insurance covers driveway repairs
Not likely.

Old 04-10-04, 08:49 AM
A
I was told that nothing can be done unless there is a failure of the concrete. I work on alot of cars in the garage and i hope the concrete doent give way when im under a car working on it while its up on stands

Old 04-10-04, 09:37 AM
M
driveway

Where I live the contractor is responsible, for the house for at least a year after house is completed, if the contractor did not pour the concrete and had this job subbed out, then the contractor is the one to go after since the concrete crew worked for and got paid by the contractor. If you were to notify your homeowers insurance company about this problem, before any breakage occured and he came out and saw the tunnel you described, I would bet, that he would not help you, but that he would certainly cancell yoiu policy, until this was indeed fixed.

I sure would not work under the car with the car on that drive way. The area underneath the driveway gave in because it was noth but fill dirt, the area underneath the garage should not have contained much if any at all fill other than gravel and gravel will sometimes give you a hollow sound when thumped upon, but if I where you I would get a bid masonry bit drill through the concrete just to see what I could see. This might be able to tell you how thick the concrete may or may not be.

Check the contract that you had with your builder,

Old 04-10-04, 11:49 AM
mowpar has a good point about the insurance company. I hadn't thought of that earlier.

I certainly wouldn't work under a car on this driveway.

I'm reluctant to think about shoddy workmanship, but your description of the problems seems to suggest that possibility.

Who did you pay for this work? A GC or a concrete guy? Whoever you wrote the check to should get a call from you ASAP.

Old 05-24-04, 09:18 PM
texaspaul
Visiting Guest
what about placing a piece of pipe under the slab? ...an 8" or larger or whatever size your tunnel is? Obviously you have a water situation which might be fixed by directing the water under the slab to the other side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: