retaining wall/underpinning footing

Old 04-07-04, 06:44 PM
dburn
Visiting Guest
retaining wall/underpinning footing

I have a doublewide mobile home that I need to put a retaining wall/underpinning under. The house is 4 ft. above the ground on the left side and 5 ft. on the right side. I will need to go down the back (76 ft.) and up the right and left sides (28 ft.). The first 3 or 4 courses will be used as a retaining wall the top 2 or 3 will be used to give it a finished look like under pinning. My 1st question is about the footing. How deep will I need to go and how wide, and do I need to keep it to ground level or just above ground level. How do I need to reenforce this part of the wall. I do know I will need to make a step down in the footing to accomedate the height differance. Do I have to go by city code for this type of application. My 2nd question is about the size of block that I will need to use for the retaining part (6 or 8 in.) and can I use a smaller size to finish it out (6 or 4 in.). I have never done this type of work before but I feel that with a little guidance I will be able to.

Old 04-07-04, 08:26 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If a code applies, you need to follow it.

Here is some information on pouring footers.

http://www.construction-resource.com...te_footing.php

Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-04, 08:45 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You need to hire an engineer. Most local building officials will not approve work like this without a seal. The wall and footing design, footing size and depth, and a sequence to lift and support the home can all be prepared by a professional engineer.

Old 04-08-04, 06:15 PM
dburn
Visiting Guest
Chris, Thank you for the web address I'm sure it will help. I will check with the city eng. to see if there is a code for this.

Jeff thank you for your response the wall will not be used to support the house it will just be a retaining wall for the dirt and underpinning for looks. But I do need to level the house by adding wooden wedges to the existing supports and retightening the tie down straps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: