Concrete Porch Slab is Falling Apart

Old 04-27-04, 07:11 AM
slewisoh
Visiting Guest
Concrete Porch Slab is Falling Apart

Good Morning:

I apologize in advance for not knowing the terminology of the trade, but I will do my best to describe the situation.

My 7 year old house has a covered stoop over the front door. What I can see is a base which is about 12" high and is faced in brick to match the rest of the foundation. The base is topped by a concrete slab that is 3 1/2" thick, 11 1/2' wide and 5 1/2' deep. There is about a 1 1/2" overhang of concrete slab over the base. There are two 3 1/4" posts supporting the porch, one on each outside corner.

On each corner, the concrete has rather neatly broken away to reveal what I think is a piece of 2x4 which rests on top of the brick. The post edge is even with the edge of the 2x4 and base, so really it's the overhang area that has broken away.

My problem is I want to replace the smallish posts with more substantial posts. Obviously I can't just put new ones in because a) I don't have enough room and b) I"m not sure whether I have an adequate base to begin with. I don't know anything about construction, but it seems my base should be at least as wide as the object it is supporting and mine seems to be a few inches shy.

What are my options? I have concrete contractors coming to look at it, and I want to sound at least half way informed...

Shelly

Old 04-30-04, 11:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums and sorry about your initial experience in most cases you will find people here are eager to help anyway they can. Now about your patio. You said you would have a cement contractor stopping by. Did they come yet? It sounds like you are trying to install bigger bearing posts n your patio. Is this for structural reasons or for visual reasons? If itís just for looks the responses will likely be different. Is there any chance of posting pictures of your problem as well? I hope you will give us another chance to help you because I would like to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: