Stucco leaks where roof attaches

Old 05-15-04, 08:31 PM
farisee
Visiting Guest
Question Stucco leaks where roof attaches

We discovered mold in our back bedroom on the lower level of our split entry house. We had MoldX out to clean up the mold, but still needed to search for the source of the water. It turns out that the outside wall has the attached garage roof connected to it. This ends in the middle of that wall. Right where the gutter connects you can see stains from water draining down over the years. It is even cracked along a line down from this spot. We installed some flashing at the edge of the roof so it would kick out from the wall to the gutter. This did not seem to help. When it rains I get water streaming down the inside. The MoldX guys stripped the inside of the wall down to the back of the stucco/metal lath.

Does anybody have a suggestion on how I should go about fixing the leak and how we can deal with the location where the roof ends on the wall?

Thanks,
Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-04, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a proper technique to flash the intersection between the edge of the roof and an abutting wall. I imagine that you followed that approach. If so, you might check to see that all the caulking is intact.

Gutters in appropriate places might be needed.

Old 05-20-04, 10:29 PM
vmg_inc
Visiting Guest
oh my..

You do have a bit of a problem... You might end up having to redo that intersection completely... I know that that isn't what you probably want to hear, but... Tear the stucco out completely... pull the roofing back away from the wall... Replace any wood that may be rotted and/or damaged, Reflash it correctly.. and Restucco it correctly... then you might also want to look into gutters on parts of your house that are dumping lots of water right there... If that is something that may help the problem...

Make sure that if you do any of this, that do everything correctly... Caulk everything and then sit back and see what a great job you have done...

Good Luck..