crumbling foundation, sagging house

Old 05-16-04, 07:36 PM
jamiesimmons
Visiting Guest
crumbling foundation, sagging house

Hi,
I have just bought a 972 sq ft 1.5 story home, it has a partial basement with room for the furnace, h/w tank, washer and dryer, also a small cold storage room.
The four corners (fairly square house, except the back foyer juts out a room about 10x10) sag to their respective corners apparently due to crumbling foundation.

I have had both home movers and foundation folks out to give estimates (house moving to repair or install new foundation $7,500) new foundation was quoted at $50,000 dollars ( not sure...but I think this contractor saw me coming...as I did the *what???* and told him we a had a foundation made for an rtm home we bought about 10 years ago and it cost 12,000...he said costs have skyrocketed since then <shrug>

Anyway, is it not as simple as us getting a hydraulic jack, steel posts (lally??) and jacking the joists....then tunnelling (don't laugh if this is sounding like Hi Ho Hi Ho....snow white mining) through the dirt under the house and jacking it up as we go? Then going outside, digging around the edge and jacking then putting (bricks??? treated wood???? etc) to level it?

Can someone comment if I am way off on the idea we can do this?

Thanks guys,

Jamie Angela Simmons

Old 05-16-04, 09:10 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A rule of thumb is to get three estimates for the same work. Are you sure that the foundation is crumbling and there is not some other problem? A professional analysis of the problem might be a good starting point.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: