MailBox post

Old 05-24-04, 07:07 PM
homeowner80
Visiting Guest
MailBox post

Hi,
I don't really know if this thread belongs here or not, but i'm going to post it anyhow. I'm trying to dig a hole for a new mailbox post in front of my house. I need to dig about 2 feet and i've already dug about 1 foot. I can't dig any deeper. I've used many hand tools, but no luck. Any suggestions besides using an excavator!

Old 05-24-04, 07:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If a foot is all you can reach, widen the bottom of the hole in the shape of a bell for better support for the concrete.

You could use a post driver to drive the post into the ground, unless rock is the obstacle.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-04, 11:09 PM
homeowner80
Visiting Guest
Let me begin by thanking you for your response. However, i just don't think one foot is long enough as far as support goes, even in a bell shaped hole. The post is really long and if only one foot of it goes in, the mailbox will be very high up. I know i can cut the bottom of the post, but again i just don't think one foot is long enough for support. And yes my problem is mostly small rocks. Maybe Jackhammer it? i was really hoping i didn't have to go that far!

Old 05-24-04, 11:46 PM
homeowner80
Visiting Guest
I most likely have to use a fuel powered post hole digger or something like that.

Old 05-25-04, 07:17 AM
C
Some holes are more difficult to dig than others. I agree that 12 inches in the ground minimal for a mailbox post, because the opening of the mailbox is supposed to be 42 inches above the pavement surface. One rule of thumb is to plant 1/3 of the height of the post into the ground. A posthole digger is effective to use for this purpose, although it requires quite an expenditure of energy. The auger for a drill to drill holes for feeding trees might be useful in breaking through the stones and soil to loosen the soil enough to dig.

The post for my mailbox is 18 inches into the ground because it is hit by passing cars so often.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-25-04, 11:11 AM
homeowner80
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your help!

Old 05-25-04, 02:10 PM
J
Maybe try soaking it. Or dig in another site? my .01 worth.

Old 08-12-04, 09:05 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Its sometimes hard to tell what the obsticles may be, but if theyre only stones...and not ROCKS.. you could try a heavy duty long prybar shaped with a point at the end, like a spear, (rentable) and pound that into the hole to see if you can break up the stones. Then maybe the manual hold digger (clams) can penitrate. Ive had to do that...and got lucky. Broke up the stone below so I could dig deeper.
Another time, when building a railroad tie retaining wall, I had to rent an electric jack hammer to chip away at a huge bolder in the way of my first line of ties. Its was a pita, but worked.

Old 08-12-04, 11:03 AM
homeowner80
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your reply but the job is already done..i reneted a jackhammer and that worked just fine.
Thanks again!

Old 08-13-04, 08:19 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Cool. I figured that you probably wouldve had that resolved by now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: