Mailbox post in concrete?

Old 05-25-04, 09:07 PM
homeowner80
Visiting Guest
Question Mailbox post in concrete?

Should I stablize the mailbox post with concrete or secure it some other way? Beacuse i've heard that concrete rottens the wooden post! True or not true? Any suggestions? Thanx!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-04, 09:11 PM
Concrete holds moisture which can hasten the demise of the post. It should last for many years. You could set one of the fixtures for a post in concrete and attach the post to the fixture and avoid the whole issue.

I put mine in the ground and pack soil around it, because it gets hit from time to time and I don't want it to break.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-26-04, 04:03 PM
You can also pack around the post with baseball sized stones and jam them in with a post bar. This will allow water to drain away from around the post.

Old 06-11-04, 09:56 AM
Upvotes Received: 1
If you are using concrete for the post, what I have done for a couple of clients, is when you are 'topping' off the concrete arouind the post above ground level, make the concrete higher than the ground and tapper the concrete away from the post, so that any water that falls, will run down and away from the post..and you could run a bead of caulking or silicone around the perimeter of the post...after the concrete has dried.... That may help.