Drilling through stone

Old 05-28-04, 06:40 AM
deep6blue
Visiting Guest
Drilling through stone

I would like to install some porch lights on either side of our garage door. The wiring should be no problem. But, getting the wire through the stone siding poses a challenge.

We have stone that is stacked up the outside wall instead of regular siding. On the opposite side of the wall (in the garage) it is drywall. So I am assuming that there is just drywall/stud/insulation/plywood/stone. Is the stone usually stacked and attached to plywood? The house was built around 1969.

I will need to drill 2 mounting holes for the light, and 1 for the wiring. How thick is the stone usually? What kind of bit should I use? Will a normal stone/masonry bit do the job? Are there any hints or tips for this job?

Old 05-28-04, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
My .02

It would be helpfull to know exactly what kind of stone and how big the individual stones are.

I have mounted a few things to stone that was a very hard, granite like material.
I was able to drill a large enough hole through the mortar to pass the wire and then used a 1/4' masonary bit to install lead anchors and then fasten an oak board and a narrow box to mount the device.

It would be quite a job to mount flush to the surface of a rock and I would be interested myself in an easy way if someone has done it.

Mind you, if you could drill a 3/4 inch hole through the rock you could then use anchors to fasten a round weatherproof box if you didn't mind your lights being about an inch and a half off the surface.
Drilling through some types of rock would need a commercial type of hammer drill and would have to be rented or you could just hire a tradesman to do this for you.

Last edited by GregH; 05-28-04 at 11:35 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: