Deteriorating Cinder Block Repair (Replacement)?

Old 05-30-04, 08:44 PM
Jackanape
Visiting Guest
Deteriorating Cinder Block Repair (Replacement)?

I've got a small two car cinder block garage, in various stages of decay and deterioration. Previous owners had, at one time or another completely replaced some of the sections that I assumed had completely failed...

The rest of the structure, however, is fast approaching heavy deterioration.
I've been unable to find a mason in the area to tackle the job over the last couple of years, and so have resigned myself to doing the job myself.

How should I approach this? Should I consider steel lathe and concrete across the entire structure, or should I think about tearing our the deteriorated blocks a few at a time and replace them? Are there any good resources for something like this?

Any and all help is, of course, appreciated...

Old 05-30-04, 09:02 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It seems to me that deteriorating blocks should be replaced not covered.

Old 05-31-04, 05:29 PM
Jackanape
Visiting Guest
I'm starting to think the same thing myself...and, in fact, am working to that goal...I think if I replace a small section of block at a time, it will take a while, but will be easier to budget and complete...in a couple of years, I can have it all up to snuff...

I'm curious as to what resources there are that can help guide me in this project. I make no pretenses to being at all skilled in masonry...I need to begin studying this and learn from the ground up.

Old 05-31-04, 07:35 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The basic process is covered here:

http://www.quikrete.com/diy/ReplacingDamagedBrick.html

Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-04, 08:54 PM
Jackanape
Visiting Guest
Excellent! This gives me more than one place to start! Thanks for the help!

(My last step will be the decorative "faux stone" finish on the new blocks to match the older ones! I'd better start looking for that one now...LOL)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: