Extending concrete patio

Old 06-22-04, 01:06 PM
stargazer
Visiting Guest
Extending concrete patio

My husband and I want to extend our concrete patio another 150 square feet. I doubt we can hire anyone to do this since it is a small job. Anyone ever done this before? Is it a possible "do it yourself" job that can be done in a few days? Any advice? Thank you!

Old 06-22-04, 01:34 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would think you could find someone.

Anyway, this is a good DIY project.

Here is a how to on building concrete patios.

http://www.quikrete.com/diy/ConcretePatios.html

150 sf patio 4 inches thick will take about two yards, so plan ahead with the ready-mix company.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-23-04, 06:06 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm sure you can find someone.

It is a nice DIY project. I did this several years ago. Here are some observations from a DIY perspective.

1. How easy is it for the cement truck to get to the area? Yes, the truck will have long chutes, but can the truck get close enough? You may need to wheel barrow the concrete from the chute to the area.

2. You will need to dig the area out first. The difficulty depepnds on your soil and plants in the area. Tree roots can be a bear! Dig down 4-8 inches, depending on how much base you want. See #3.

3. You will need to fill in a layer of crushed rock for the base. If the truck can get to the area - well and good. Otherwise you'll need that wheelbarrow again. I used a 4" base. Some would consider that overkill, but the 12x17 patio hasn't cracked in 17 years.

4. I put rebar around my edges and the reinforcing fence-like stuff in the middle. The middle rebar may not be needed if using fiber-reinforced concrete.

5. Finishing the concrete (smoothing the top) is not hard but you will need to proper tools.

6. Some companies have trucks where the materials are kept separate and mixed at the job site. This is good as you pay for just what you use and you can adjust the slump as needed.

7. Can it be done in a few days? Yes. Likely? No.
1 day to dig and set the forms.
1 day to put in the base and level it.
1 day for the actual pour.

One suggestion. You may want to consider drilling lateral holes into the existing patio and putting in rebar that will tie the two patios together. This will reduce the chance of them shifting apart.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: