Modernizing Home Exterior

Old 06-28-04, 06:05 AM
bsumpter
Visiting Guest
Question Modernizing Home Exterior

Hello everyone.

I'm new here, but have been lurking for a few weeks now. This is a wonderful site!

Quick question -- my wife and I just purchased a brick ranch home built in '65. The home is in excellent condition for its age, and we got it for a real deal. I would like to modernize the exterior of the home both for us and for future resale value, and I'm not real sure how to go about doing it.

Here is a photo of the home exterior (front):

http://wtech.xtn.net/house/IMGA0231.jpg

For a complete slide show of the home (long):

http://wtech.xtn.net/house/

I personally think the stone above the brick dates the home, and am considering either ripping it out or covering it somehow. But I'm such a greenhorn at this home improvement thing that I don't know if that would help or hurt the home's value. I also plan on replacing the aluminum windows with more modern ones (possibly a bay window in the main front).

Any ideas on refreshing this home to bring it more up to date?

Old 07-09-04, 11:08 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was only able to see two views of the front of your house at the second link. There was no slide show. With what I have seen, here are my recommendations.

Remove the stone above the brick and replace with the same brick that is on the house.

Remove the porch roof and replace with the same style and pitch as the garage roof and gable end of the house.

If replacing the windows use a color. Choose a color that will be enhanced by the brick color and not be such a stark contrast as the white. Maybe a deep burgandy or tone that is deeper than the brick that will give the face of the house some depth. Also consider a sage green or tan for all the trim and shutters. Paint stores have color schemes that work will together.

Paint the garage doors a color that matches the brick and 'make them go away' by blending into the brick. They are large and draw attention away from the house and front door, where you want people to go.

Consider putting a railing around the front porch.

I can't quite see what is on the side at the other end from the garage. It looks like it was a carport and has been enclosed. You may need to address that as well if what I see is siding. Maybe consider removing the siding and using brick to make it look as if it's always been that way. Easier to do if you are going to replace the windows and remove and replace the stone on the other side. It makes the house look contrived and off balance.

Change the color of the front door to compliment the new trim color of the windows. Maybe a gold or tan color. Actually, change the front door. It's dated.

If you have cable tv, watch 'Curb Appeal' on HGTV. It's on at several different times during the week with reruns and also the current season, which I think is on over the weekend. Go to www.hgtv.com and you can find it in their scheduling. Record it if you need to as it will give you some great ideas.

Hope this helps. I hope I haven't spent your entire lifetime of grocery money!!

Nice home and a great deal!! I don't know how much land you have, but in my area your home would start at $350,000, dated front door and all!

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: