Cracks in concrete patio

Old 06-23-04, 08:49 AM
sandklee
Visiting Guest
Cracks in concrete patio

Our house is about a year old. The patio is 15 x 34 - about half of it is covered. I realize that it is normal for large areas to have some cracks but we have about 4 that run from the house all the way to the edge of the patio (15 feet). A couple of these appear to be shifting as settling occurs because the patio of one side of the crack is slightly higher than one the other side. I have also noticed within the last couple of days that new cracks are forming and that there are some now that run partially across the length of the patio. Since I have never had a pation like this before, I don't know if this is normal. I certainly hope not as it looks like it will all be stepping stones before long. If it isn't normal, I have to do something soon because my 1 year builder's warranty runs out in 1 month.

Old 06-28-04, 07:42 AM
sandklee
Visiting Guest
Perhaps I didn't clearly ask a question. Is it normal to have this many cracks in a new concrete patio? Should the builder have done something to prevent it? And what can be done now?

Old 06-28-04, 08:16 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I might expect a crack along an expansion joint, but wholesale cracking and settling such as you describe seems to indicate that the base for the patio is inadequate. I would invoke the warranty before it expires.

Proper preparation and installation should have prevented all cracking except for along expansion joints.

I suspect that removing the pad and rebuilding it from the base up will be needed to remedy this situation.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-04, 08:50 AM
sandklee
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. That is what I expected. By the way, there is no expansion joint in the whole of the patio.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: