Cripple or pony walls over stem wall

Old 07-04-04, 03:45 PM
Larry Mancuso
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Cripple or pony walls over stem wall

I am not sure this is the best forum for my problem but here goes. I am an owner builder in Northern Ca with a hilltop site. My county approved plans call for a minimum 30 inch clear crawl space below my girders for a raised foundation. The plans also state the exterior grade is to be a max of 24 inches below the floor level. The framing contractor used a pony wall to complete the foundation to the floor plate and did not excavate under the house inside the stem wall before framing and pouring. The crawl will be about 20 inches under the closest girders to the ground and the pony or cripple wall is over 48 inches above a finish grade. The contractor was paying for labor and materials in the foundation and I pay for materials in the framing. Now my floor height is over four feet above grade and the contractor says I can just backfill against the pony wall with only a little flashing. This is a level site, about 8 inches slope over 80 feet. Is this sound building practice. I think my stem wall should be masonry either concrete or block to allow the backfill. Any comments will be greatly appreciated before I get in too deep. This is a Tuscan style home with numerous patio doors and we don't want decks just patios.

Old 07-04-04, 06:22 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You might have the building inspector out for a review of construction in progress.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: