Question about asphalt drive.

Old 07-11-04, 08:42 AM
lineman
Visiting Guest
Question Question about asphalt drive.

I hope that this question meets the quidelines. Myself and 4 other families live on a short cul de sac that is private road. We have noticed that when a heavy truck comes in we have noticed that the heavy trucks have left damaged areas where their tires are. I can understand that a truck turning it's tires in one place may leave damage. Should the asphalt be that easily damaged? The drive is approx 6 months old. Does new asphalt have to be coated or sealed? Is it that the road damages more easily because the compaction was not heavy enough? Will the sealant or coat, if needed, protect the surface? Or when it gets hot,outside temp, be just as easily to damage with heavy trucks? Lastly, how do "regular city streets" bear the weight of these trucks and sustain no visible damage?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Thank you.
Lineman

Old 07-12-04, 08:07 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As it ages, it should be more resistant to this sort of damage. My take is that there should have been more compaction to make the material adhere to itself better. Sealing asphalt is usually done after a year or more. City streets may be paved thicker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: