Prep for Concrete Stain

Old 07-12-04, 09:50 AM
Get2itnow
Visiting Guest
Prep for Concrete Stain

I am in the process of finishing my basement, and there are a couple of rooms with painted concrete floors. What is the best way to remove the paint (it looks like it has possibly a polyurethane sealer of some sort on top of it). Will a chemical paint remover be the best bet? I'm still in the 'research' phase of the actual staining process, but I cant find much about how to etch out designs into the concrete, as well as what tools would be required. I've ordered a couple of books to go through. Any suggestions? I'm amazed at some of the things that can be done to plain old concrete. Oh, the house is about 8 yrs old so the slab has been there a while

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-04, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A chemical stripper would be the way to go. Be sure to read any cautions regarding any interaction with concrete to plan your entire operation.

With your new books, you may have the latest information anyway.

Old 06-26-06, 06:14 AM
how do you remove the concrete sealer

I'm haveing the same problem. I have tried scraping, Muriac Acid (striaght), wire brush pad buffer, floor stripper. Nothing is working. The product on the floor now is Quickcrete clear seal coating. The Quickcrete company has giving me most of these suggestions and they still don't know what else to use. Any suggestions would help us all.

Originally Posted by Get2itnow
I am in the process of finishing my basement, and there are a couple of rooms with painted concrete floors. What is the best way to remove the paint (it looks like it has possibly a polyurethane sealer of some sort on top of it). Will a chemical paint remover be the best bet? I'm still in the 'research' phase of the actual staining process, but I cant find much about how to etch out designs into the concrete, as well as what tools would be required. I've ordered a couple of books to go through. Any suggestions? I'm amazed at some of the things that can be done to plain old concrete. Oh, the house is about 8 yrs old so the slab has been there a while

Old 06-26-06, 07:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Muratic acid doesn't remove paint. Paint & varnish remover should work - BE SURE TO USE PLENTY OF VENTILATION!!

Old 06-27-06, 03:02 PM
There is a product called Remov-All from Napier Environmental labs. It works great and is eco-friendly. Not much in the way of fumes. It smells like citrus. They private label it for others such as ICI/Dulux paint stores. There it is called Hydrostrip. Downside: it is not cheap!
Another product that works well with no fumes is Soy-Gel from a company called Franmar. Google either product and I'm sure you'll find them. Good luck.
PS. Anyone who said to use muriatic acid to remove sealer/paint is uneducated at best.

Pecos