Stone Hearth

Old 07-14-04, 10:55 PM
jklien65
Visiting Guest
Stone Hearth

I am building a stone hearth from natural stone, all misc sizes and type, approx 36" wide with the arch starting at approx 36"h. Should I use standard mortar to hold everything, or would I be better off free-forming it with concrete (and if so, what is the min, wall thickness I should use)?
Also, can the dome portion be self-supporting?
Thanks for any help/guidance here.

Old 07-16-04, 03:53 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes a Masonry Arch should be self supporting if done correctly. A good part of what you plan on doing depends on how high you will be going once you pass over the apex of the Arch. Pesonally I can not advise very much on the info given. Is this for a Oven or a Fireplace. The width of the Stone wall really depands on the Stone. A 6" wall is a good start with most stones.

Edit: Typing error!!

Last edited by themortarman; 07-16-04 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-16-04, 05:22 PM
jklien65
Visiting Guest
Thanks and a follow-up question here

Thanks for the info. My walls are approx 7", widening to approx 9" on one side as was dictated by the stones. Total hieght before the top will be approx 48". This will be an outdoor fireplace. I had planned on using either channel iron or flat bar with a wire mesh to hold a layer of mortar, resulting is a semi-flat top. Is this the right direction to go?

Old 07-17-04, 05:10 AM
T
You will have to excuse me jklien65 I am drawing a Blank on your porposal.

Old 07-22-04, 05:49 AM
jklien65
Visiting Guest
Clarification and final question

Sorry for the created confusion. I had been speaking of how to support the front of the hearth/fireplace (ie: closing in the front). After attempting to create a self-supporting arch, I ended up using rebar wrapped in 1/8" mesh hardware screen and mortared the entire set in place (in the hopes that the expansion rate of the rebar will be reduced).
My final question here is sealing. I have been unsuccessful in finding a post concerning applying a sealer, a type of wax (perhaps a car type wax) to seal off any hairline fracures that have occurred in either the mortar or stone. Is this recommended? If so, what type of sealer should be used? I live in the northern parts where the freeze/thaw cycle during the winter months is never ending.
Thanks again for your guidance here.

Old 07-22-04, 06:18 AM
T
Anytime you can prevent a Masonry structure from becoming saturated during those harsh Northern Winters you will prolong the life of your project. As far as recommending a Product I can't give any Brand names. Your Local Home Center will carry products like this. Even your Masonry Supply House will have different Masonry Sealers. The Commercial Builders Supply will carry top Grade Sealers. May need to call around in your area.

The Structrure will need to be cleaned first using a Masonry Cleaner. I would think just a mild scrub would do. Unless there are some stubborn stains.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: