brick chimney foundation needs repair

Old 07-20-04, 05:13 AM
tonsoffun
Visiting Guest
brick chimney foundation needs repair

my 25 feet chimney is supported in the basement by two brick posts. The dimension of the posts are about 1.5 feet (one and a half bricks)by 2.5 feet(2 and a half bricks). the very bottom section of one of the posts is badly damaged. while the the rest of the chimney looks sound, there are many bad bricks in that section. One of the wider sides (the 2.5 feet side) just need some repointing, while all the bricks on the other side are damaged. some of them have only half of the brick left. I called many masons, but never got a reply. maybe the job is too small for them or something? i want to try to fix it on my own. I understand that the foundation is supporting the weight of the entire chimney. therefore, i am very nervous.
so, my question is if i remove one brick at a time and replace it with a new one(allowing the mortar to harden) before moving on to the next one, will i risk damaging the structure of the chimney? will the chimney collapse on me? what do you suggest that i should do? I would really like to show some photos of the job in question. if you would like to see it, please leave me an email address and i will send some photos over. Thank you very much in advance.

Old 07-20-04, 06:15 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is something that should not be taken likely as you are aware of. This could be one reason the Masons you have contacted have not responded. I had a project similar to this. I got a company involved that specialized in "Shoring". They had the Equipment ,Material and the knowledge to safely support the structure while I did the repair.

How much of the Structure do you think the 2 Columns are supporting? 1\4 to 1\8 per column would you think? Could it be possible that the Columns are just supporting the Hearth?

Could this be close to your situation?
Well my Drawing did not translate at all.

To answer your question. Most likely you could repair one Brick at a time allowing the mortar to dry in between replacing the next one.

Again I would be alittle concerned you may call around and see if you could get an Engineer to give his opinion. The ones that do Home inspections in you area would have an idea of how safe things are and how safely you could do the repair.

Sorry if I am not more help!!!

Old 07-20-04, 01:25 PM
tonsoffun
Visiting Guest
thanks very much for your reply. the columns are supporting the entire chimney since i dont see any other supporting structure around it other than the wood frame for the house itself. so i guess they are taking on the weight 1/2 and 1/2.
i will get an engineer to look at it before i do any repair. what should i look for in the yellow book? construction engineers? thanks again.

Old 07-20-04, 03:50 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Structural Inspections would be titles to look for in the Yellow Pages. May take a few calls. Let them know just what your concerns are, if they can't help you I am sure they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: