Cracked and descending brickwork over garage

Old 07-20-04, 12:21 PM
MrUnexpected
Visiting Guest
Angry Cracked and descending brickwork over garage

due to the fact that our house was built by morons (12 years ago), the bricks over our garage doorways were placed in the regular horozontal pattern, rather than with a first layer of vertical bricks. (sorry i dont know the terminology)

the middle of the 2-car door has had a crack working its way up for most of the last decade. it is now all the way up, the middle is visibly sagging, and on both sides we have noticed cracks runnign from the top-down.

what has to be done to repair this? i assume the brickwork has to be removed over the doors, the supporting metal 'strip' has to be replaced, and the brickwork redone. my questions are, 'is that what we have to do?' and 'how do we do that?'

i do plan on doing this myself, regardless of how 'difficult' is is. im tired of dealing with the 'professionsals' in my town.

thanks for any help!

Old 07-20-04, 04:47 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There would be 2 types of Basic patterns that would be use over an opening. One being a Header course the other a Soldier course. There are many other these are the most common.

Cracking and settling over Doors and Windows is very common almost to be expected with time to a certain extent. Large openings such as Garage doors are even more apt to settling causing the sides to crack as the center settles. Though the thing to look for are large cracks big enough to fit a coin in and larger or the sections moving away from the rest of the Structure. Large amounts of settling in the center would be obvious concerns.

One thing that is common is the General Contractor will supply the iron to pass over such openings to save money they will use a angle Iron that is not rated to pass such a distance and support the weight. So that would be some thing to look for if you were to try to take this on. You will want to get a stronger Angle Iron. I also have holes drilled in the Iron to bolt to the wood header that passes over the opening.

How much Brickwork is passing over the Doorway? That would have a lot to do with the Angle Iron. 1\2"x4"x6" would be a commonly use Iron. Though a thicker one maybe what you need. Getting an Angle Iron 2 ft. wider then the opening. Primed "Red Iron" will be best to use. This will be heavy so call in the reinforcements.

A few things to consider is finding Bricks to match and matching the Mortar color. Bricklaying is not the most complicate craft there is. It is one that takes practice some technical Building skills are needed. The most basic are plumb and Level. Since your working with an existing Structure theses should be established or close you would hope.

Sorry will pick this up later on!!

Last edited by themortarman; 07-20-04 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-25-04, 12:25 PM
MrUnexpected
Visiting Guest
btw, this housewas built about 12 years ago, and we have seen the crack start to grow at least 8 years ago, and it has grown laerger and larger since.

heres some images to help explain the situation.

heres the whole door, standard 2 car door

heres the crack

that would be a quarter.

theres the cracking occuring in the mortar on the right side.

on the left side, you can hardly see mortar cracking, and it doesnt show in the picture.

it does sag slightly.

on the inside this has slplit and cracked a little.

about 6 years ago, we added the caulk between the brick and the board under it, and repaited the interior, and calked the slightly cracked wood.

would it be possible to just remove the bricks thatare cracked, and leave the rest as is? does this pose a safety risk?

Old 07-25-04, 01:07 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes it does appear to be sagging!! From what I can see the Cracks in the Center does not appear to be terrible yet. As far as the Cracks that run along the sides this is a Stress point also compounded by the Long vertical joint that is formed on each side of the "COINED Corners". Though not terrible again. From the image I can't really tell is there an Angle Iron Between the Brickwork and Wood board that spans the opening?

As Far as replacing the Bricks it could be done if there is an Angle Iron supporting the Wall. If not you would have to replace a few at a time allowing them to Setup before moving on to the next few to repair. The only problem with this is it will most like start to crack again.

Note: Again from the images I can see some obvious Settling and cracking. Though I'm sure they look horrible to you in person and being the Home owner on top of this the home is relatively new.

Old 07-25-04, 01:53 PM
MrUnexpected
Visiting Guest
there was some sort of metal, but we think it was just a 'strip', not an angle iron. iw ould think if thee wa nothing there, it would have fallen by now, with just the wood holding it up?

on a brick structure like this, does the layout of the bricks matter? is the 'solider' layer that all the other houses around here have only for looks, with the iron in there doing all the holding?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: