Soft bricks

Old 07-25-04, 06:49 PM
swjohnson
Visiting Guest
Soft bricks

Hi,

I was considering buying a house but I noticed something odd about the bricks. The house is 27 years old and it is a wood frame house with the outer shell made of bricks (i.e. it is not a double or triple brick wall). The bricks appear to be very soft. If I brush my finger along the brick, sand like particles visibly fall off.

The agent tells me that these bricks are supposed to be like this which seems hard to believe. I am surprised that the weather has not already worn them down more.

Has anybody heard of anything like this? Is there a way to protect them?

(I will get a house inspection done if I decide to pursue the house.)

Thanks for any info

Steve

Old 07-25-04, 08:00 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are soft bricks. Then there are medium grade bricks that are less resistant to freeze-thaw cycles that don't do well when used in a climate that is too cold. Moisture persistently transpiring through the brick instead of through the mortar as a result of too much moisture being trapped behind the wall can cause the brick to deteriorate over time.

If you are concerned about the brickwork, have a mason inspect it. A mason or engineer would be the only ones qualified to evaluate brickwork intrinsically.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: