Flagsstone on Concrete steps - ideas?

Old 08-06-04, 12:35 PM
larryr20
Visiting Guest
Flagsstone on Concrete steps - ideas?

I have a concrete porch with 4 steps down to a walkway. I would like to dress it up by adding some flagstone to the top of the porch and steps. Ive read some of the other threads on this and Im sure I can handle this. What Im not sure about is what to do with the risers and side of the porch/steps. Any ideas? I dont want to put anything too thick as it will take away from the width of the steps. Thanks

Old 08-06-04, 05:56 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There may be an attractive tile of some sort that is thin enough not to crowd the space while fitting in well enough with the overall appearance.

Old 08-07-04, 02:22 PM
T
chfite, suggestion sounds like a great idea!! Get some contrasting tile or even matching to give it a different look. May be able to find some slate to match the Flagstone even. I would stay away from slate on the tread it can be very slippery when wet.

If your set on facing the risers and sides with Stone what you can do is get some thin stone and adhere then to the surface with a "Marble Mate" type thinset. It is designed for a thicker bed of Mortar.

May have to check your local Stone yard and see if they carry stones thin enough to do this.

Old 08-08-04, 09:03 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No Can Do.

Adding anything to a stair tread that alters the overall height of a riser violates building code and makes your plan illegal.

You need to demolish and rebuild the steps to meet code and make them legal.

(For real)...

Old 08-08-04, 09:12 PM
T
Not meaning to disagree for this to be a violation on Building codes depends on the height of the original Risers .

Steps can be altered in many ways to add different materials and still be within your local Building code.

The first and the Last steps will be the ones that will be changed the rest will remain constant. The Bottom step can be adjusted in many ways. The top step will be a concern only if it becomes to close to the Threshold.

However yes you should be concerned that these steps are Safe and within Code.

Old 08-21-04, 06:49 PM
FlagstoneArtist
Visiting Guest
Talking Flagsstone on concrete steps

You can design flagstone and apply permanent color to the existing concrete, including the risers using, a reactive acid stain. Templates are not required for this "artwork".
I have been doing this since 1955 for flagstone, slate, cobblestones etc. This is easy to do with minimal instruction.
FlagstoneArtist

Last edited by chfite; 08-23-04 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Links are not allowed in signatures

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: