Applying "wash" to brick/mortar

Old 08-08-04, 05:47 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Applying "wash" to brick/mortar

The outside front of my c. 1932 brick bungalow is a hodge-podge of different mortar colors left over from numerous repairs. I have never been crazy about the colors of the bricks bricks and was wondering about something a friend told me about---applying a color wash to the brick. Did I mention that there is a totally different type of brick on the front of my house, and a plain brick used on the other 3 sides? Yes, it does look that odd. Must've been something they did during the depression.

My friend had a 3 story house with similar problem and had what she described as a "wash" to the brick and mortar to give it a uniform color, and it looks just great 5 years later. I am close to a historic district where many houses are either painted or have this wash. I have heard it does not peel like painting bricks.

Is it hard to do? Is this a do-it-yourself project? Has anyone attempted such a project?

Old 08-08-04, 06:31 PM
C
Wash or other paint should not peel if properly applied. What is the composition of this "wash"?

Old 08-09-04, 05:38 AM
A
applying wash to brick

As far as I know, the wash consisted of watered down latex paint. I believe my friend had her house power washed a couple of weeks beforehand. My friends house came out a kind of rose colored brick. I would be looking for something darker in color, more of a port wine or maroon.

Old 08-09-04, 10:00 AM
C
Latex paint will adhere well to masonry. Be sure the masonry is clean before painting. This is a one-way trip inasmuch as paint is quite difficult to remove from brick and mortar.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-04, 01:14 PM
lestatum
Visiting Guest
Sandblasting brick

Where can I find info on how to sandblast brick or brick rubbing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: