Stucco on rigid foam

Old 08-09-04, 08:17 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Stucco on rigid foam

What is the name of this type of home/building siding;
gray Stucco plasted on top of white rigid foam 'nailed' to exterior; I seen it several times used on businesses in my neighborhood that were doing remodeling and I like the idea - and since my home will soon need a new siding job (currently aluminum) I kind of like this idea;
I am not familiar with this seemingly energy effiecient type of 'siding';
cost, quality, advantages, disadvantages, etc.
Thanks

Old 08-09-04, 09:53 AM
C
One brand is Drivit.

One downside that I see is how to manage it when it is broken by the stray baseball.

Old 08-10-04, 06:20 AM
Mkuriawa
Visiting Guest
Another brand name is Finestone, our house front is done with it and if installed properly hitting it with something should not be an issue. Ours is actually installed like this, plywood shell - V/B - Rigid 3/4 foam insulation - plastic net/screen - concrete skim coating - then Finestone + paint.

Also patching is not and issue as long as the trowel used is the same for texture purposes, we moved our hose connections on the front and after patching you could never tell.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-10-04, 03:31 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Eifs

The siding finish system is known as EIFS or "EXTERIOR INSULATION AND FINISH SYTEMS".

Some brand names of EIFS have been mentioned above.

http://www.eima.com/eima/eifs.htm

What has NOT been so far mentioned is the enormous failures that have been reported on homes that use this type of finish system.

Developed initially as a commercial product to be installed over concrete and block, EIFS systems became popular with light wood framed residential structures and millions of homes across the US have been damaged by the use of these products.

In fact, there are multi-state class action lawsuits en force against the makers of EIFS systems, many states have banned the use of EIFS systems, and owners of homes with EIFS systems often find themselves with no one that will dare insure them.

The main problem lies with the EIFS systems' inability to properly deal with moisture both externally and internally.

Whole house wood framing systems have rotted away from faultily installed EIFS systems cause billions in claims nationwide.

You can read more about the dangers and damages of using EIFS finishes on wood framed residences here:

http://www.almosthome.com/Dryvitsuit.htm

Or by doing a websearch for "dryvit lawsuits", "EIFS lawsuits", "Dryvit class actions" or similar.

Last edited by chfite; 08-11-04 at 10:36 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: