Best tool for grinding out existing mortar

Old 08-09-04, 05:33 PM
Shockdoctor
Visiting Guest
Best tool for grinding out existing mortar

I recently purchased a brick home and it needs a lot of tuck pointing done. I would like to tackle the task myself. The first thing I would like to do is grind out the mortar that is in the areas that are breaking apart.

What kind of tool would I need to do this and where would I find something like this? I am assuming some kind of diamond bit drill, but I have no idea what to call it.

Also, would I be better off using S type mortar mix to fill in the areas I grind out, or would the tuck pointing that comes in caulking style tubes work just as well?

Old 08-09-04, 06:04 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A 4" 1\2 Angle Grinder with a Diamond Disk would work like a Charm. If you look around try and find a Commercial| Builders Supply they will carry Tuck Pointing Diamond disk. These are disk that are wider then a normal disk and can take out a Joint in one pass. The Home Center will have regular 4" Diamond Disks they work well, you will have to make a few passes with this Blade. There is also a Chisel called a "Plugging Chisel" it is designed to chip out Mortar.
Type "S" Mortar would be the way to go.

Old 08-09-04, 06:15 PM
Shockdoctor
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply.

I've never done this before, so I have another question. What type of tool should I use to properly distribute the mortar mix in between the bricks?

Old 08-09-04, 06:27 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You will want a few tools a Tuck Pointer and a Brick Trowel. The Tool to finish the Joints will depend on how the other Joints look at this time. Here is a How to on Tuck pointing.

http://www.quikrete.com/diy/ReplacingDamagedBrick.html

Old 08-09-04, 06:36 PM
Shockdoctor
Visiting Guest
Thanks again. I can't get to the quikrete site right now. I'll keep trying until I can check it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: