Mortar stains on paving stones

Old 08-10-04, 09:48 AM
jrexi
Visiting Guest
Mortar stains on paving stones

Anyone know of a successful method to remove mortar stains on paving stones?

I tried an acid solution, which worked, but was VERY labor intensive...is this my only solution?

Thanks in advance.

Jrexi

Old 08-10-04, 12:43 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes it can be alot of work to clean Masonry. A Masonry cleaner or a Muratic Acid solution is what is used. Some people use a Power Washer you will have to be careful not to remove to much of the Mortar Joint. You can also scar the Stone Work if you're not careful.

When using a cleaner wet the surface and use a scraper to remove as much of the material as you can, then apply the Cleaner you may have to scrap some more , then brush it with a Scrub Brush. Rinse thoroughly. A repeat may be needed.

Old 08-20-04, 11:31 AM
Diggity_MA
Visiting Guest
JRexi, did you ever figure out how to clean those pavers? I'm having the exact same problem. I tried muriatic acid, and it doesn't do the trick, even at stronger than the recommended solution. Sandpaper (reciprocating sander) works OK and is easy, but doesn't get the mortar stains out from all the pores of the pavers. My next step is going to be to purchase an axle grinder and literally grind the pavers down until all the mortar stains have been ground off. But I'm afraid of doing serious damage to the pavers by gouging and scarring them.

-Diggity

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: