Nailing into cinderblock

Old 08-22-04, 03:36 PM
BriCK LL928
Visiting Guest
Nailing into cinderblock

I realize after the fact is not the best way to ask questions, but I just hammered OOK bendless brick/concrete all pupose nails into a cinderblock wall, and I'm not sure if I should have done that or not. I can't see the blocks, because the wall is covered with sheetrock, but I keep picturing in my mind a nail cracking a cinderblock. I assume that cinderblock = brick/concrete so it should be fine, but is cinderblock too brittle for this type of application?

Old 08-23-04, 12:24 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For peace of mind, I prefer to use anchors and screws.

Old 08-23-04, 12:43 PM
BriCK LL928
Visiting Guest
I thought of that too, but I have a mirror hanging from it now that's not as heavy as I originally thought it might be and it seems pretty secure.

But having already driven the nails, what are the chances I've cracked the block, and is this a problem if I have?

Old 08-24-04, 07:17 AM
C
If the nails seem to be secure, they probably are. I would use them.

Old 08-24-04, 10:14 AM
BriCK LL928
Visiting Guest
Thanks! I just realized that you told me in another forum to use screws and anchors, so I feel kind of sheepish now asking for more help after I went ahead and used nails, but the mirror really didn't turn out to be that heavy and I figured it could hold it very comfortably.

I'm more concerned now about damaging the wall itself, though, not too worried about the mirror. Are brick/concrete nails OK to use in cinderblock, or is it too brittle? Anything I should watch out for?

Old 08-24-04, 07:59 PM
C
I think of concrete block as being too friable to nail, unless nailing into the mortar between them. I imagine that the nails will be fine, unless they were subject to some vibrating or shifting load that might work them loose.

Old 08-25-04, 05:13 AM
BriCK LL928
Visiting Guest
Red face

Hmm, I might just try to pull them out and replace with screws and anchors, if they're not too tight. It sounds like the concern is primarily that they might fall out, but they shouldn't adversely affect the structural integrity of the wall? When I phrase it like "Will two nails cause my house to fall down?" I guess it does sound kind of ridiculous, but I'm really clueless on this kind of stuff, and I make it a point to try to constantly worry

Old 08-26-04, 09:19 AM
T
Normally what happens when nailing into a Block is the Block will spall toward the inside of the Block. The same way if you were to shoot glass with a BB gun or something similar the side you shoot has the small hole the other side has a larger portion of the glass blown out. This will leave a small amount of the Block holding the Nail. Not to say it is not secure it very well could hold for years to come. Like was mention it is best if nailing to nail into the Mortar Joint. Anchor would be the best choice. Tapcons are a nice little anchoring device for Concrete\Masonry.

Old 09-23-04, 09:10 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
Nailing into cement block

Chris- I've followed this thread with interest, since I'm considering fur-stripping my cement-block house to hang siding on (Hardie fiber-cement board) and have had as many opinions on how to attach them as there were people asked! You mention that nailing into the mortared joints is better than into the block, to prevent spalling if the nail goes into the thin wall of the block surrounding a cavity. My question: what if you nailed into the block at the webbing, instead of over the hollow part? Would nails be as effective in that situation? Since I know how the block is constructed (where the webbings are within the blocks) and can set the furring strips over one of these webs, would it work if I hammered through the furring strips into the block at these places? I'm also not too keen on drilling and screwing 8 ft. lengths of furring at 16 inches apart completely around the house. Thanks.

Mark

Last edited by Mark B; 09-23-04 at 09:13 PM. Reason: clarification of statement in text
Old 09-24-04, 01:41 PM
We hang a lot of stuff at work on block walls and use the mortar joints 95% of the time. I think it would be worse to nail into the web since it would also weaken the block if the web shattered. As far as drilling all that... a hammer drill would make the job easy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: