How do I build a brick wall?

Old 09-07-04, 10:03 PM
deric
Visiting Guest
How do I build a brick wall?

I'm sure this is a simple question to many of you, but I can't find any good instructions, so I turn to diy...

I'd like to build a 4' high 20' long wall, from either cinder block or other recommended brick. I understand I should build a level footing first, and space the bricks about 3/8" apart. But how should rebar be incorporated into the wall, and what mud material should I use to cover the cinder blocks?

If this works, will this building technique also serve as a retaining wall?

Thanks,
Deric

Old 09-08-04, 05:16 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here is a step by step process for building a block wall.

http://www.calaged.org/ResourceFiles...uster/2506.txt

You might consider dry building with the interlocking materials that are so popular nowadays.

An example: http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...tNavLawnGarden

Hope this helps.

Old 09-18-04, 09:59 AM
two kids
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by deric
I'm sure this is a simple question to many of you, but I can't find any good instructions, so I turn to diy...

I'd like to build a 4' high 20' long wall, from either cinder block or other recommended brick. I understand I should build a level footing first, and space the bricks about 3/8" apart. But how should rebar be incorporated into the wall, and what mud material should I use to cover the cinder blocks?

If this works, will this building technique also serve as a retaining wall?

Thanks,
Deric
DERIC....
You dot use rebar in the brick walls but you can in the cinder block walls...Jst rive the rebar into the foting hole efre you pour your footers...down about a foot into the dirt....keep the rebar about 4 feet apart...leave them about 2 feet above foters then lay block over them and when your finished with the wal puor each cell wth morrtar or concete......if yo lay brick the wall polly wont be able to hold much as a retaining wall;;;unless you put in columns or pilasters.....but if you are nt exp. at this type of work you better stick to block ad rebar...

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Old 09-19-04, 10:55 AM
T
Not meaning to disagree here but I am going to. Brick walls can be reinforce with rebar and Grout. It is done all the time. It is done more so on Commercial and Industrial applications, it also can be done on a retaining wall. A 9" double Brick wall would be the easiest type of wall to Grout since there will be about 3" cavity. When doing so a "Z" bar or "Dur-O-Wall" is use in conjunction with the cage of Rebar.

Old 09-19-04, 06:07 PM
two kids
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by themortarman
Not meaning to disagree here but I am going to. Brick walls can be reinforce with rebar and Grout. It is done all the time. It is done more so on Commercial and Industrial applications, it also can be done on a retaining wall. A 9" double Brick wall would be the easiest type of wall to Grout since there will be about 3" cavity. When doing so a "Z" bar or "Dur-O-Wall" is use in conjunction with the cage of Rebar.

YES ,But this is someone who is not a mason,and also it would be alot more expensive for him to build a double wall....which would still prolly not have enough strength over the long run to hold back dirt......adn I have never see anyone use rebar in brick....the cost wouldnt justify it...

I was trying to keep it simple and least amount of expense for the most amount of strength......and a 9 inch wall would require him to but an oversize brick instead of a standard size one....which would further complicate his project by adding the bond difference.....remember he is not a mason...and hasnt had to use these things before.....so the simpliest route would prolly be the best....In my humble opinion

Old 09-19-04, 06:35 PM
T
Ok I see your point!
I guess I was just stating that your statement about Rebar in Brick is just not true.
I have Built many Double Brick Retaining walls that were reinforce and grouted. Done all the time on Commercial and Industrial, even Residential if that is what the specs call for.
If you look at this page you will see Rebar and Grout being incorporate into Brick walls. http://www.bia.org/BIA/technotes/t17a.htm

Again though I see your point!!

Last edited by themortarman; 09-19-04 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-19-04, 08:36 PM
two kids
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by themortarman
Ok I see your point!
I guess I was just stating that your statement about Rebar in Brick is just not true.
I have Built many Double Brick Retaining walls that were reinforce and grouted. Done all the time on Commercial and Industrial, even Residential if that is what the specs call for.
If you look at this page you will see Rebar and Grout being incorporate into Brick walls. http://www.bia.org/BIA/technotes/t17a.htm

Again though I see your point!!
YEA I knew what you were saying I needed to be more clear instead of throwing out that general statement which was misleading.

You Like comm. or res. laying better.....me I like the residential better

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: