reinforcing footings

Old 09-14-04, 11:10 AM
medicineman
Visiting Guest
reinforcing footings

I recently rebuilt a portion of a foundation that is made of cement blocks, that had shifted and leaning towards the outside in a walk out basement.
After I properly jacked the house near the corner wall , I tore down the wall
and rebuilt it. Later I discovered that the footing under that wall was about
8-10 inches thick and that the top of the footing was exposed above grade level.
I did some digging to realize this, and I should of corrected this before I rebuilt the wall. Since I need to make sure that this footing is below frost level, how can I reinforce the footing?
I was thinking of digging a portion of the footing at one time , so it doesn't cave in on me, and add some concrete in a pyramid form and then continue to a different portion.....what do you think and any other tips.?? thx

Old 09-14-04, 11:38 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How deep does the building code in your locale specify for footings?

Old 09-14-04, 12:22 PM
medicineman
Visiting Guest
reinforcing footings

I think the footing must be of 12 inches thick and three feet at depth.
I can only achieve this by digging under the existing footing and adding concrete to achieve the three foot mark( for freezing concerns), which is tricky, since the whole thing can colapse , I suppose. The top of the footing is exposed only at the walk out basement side only, which the shift occured
long ago. I recently purchased this cottage and wanted to repair this portion of wall.

Old 09-14-04, 01:29 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is more to footers than just pouring concrete.

http://www.quikrete.com/diy/FootersforWalls.html

Given that you have structural problems with your house, calling some contractors for bids might be a good idea. If you dig this out and the foundation collapses, how much of a problem would it be?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: