Hole In Concrete Block Wall -please Help!!

Old 09-18-04, 02:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hole In Concrete Block Wall -please Help!!

I'm currently remodeling my basement and am at the demolition stage. The previous owner had chiseled holes into the concrete block to house the electrical boxes. Unbelievable, I know. Well, upon removing the boxes, I've found that these holes are deeper than expected. He chiseled through the block into the cavity, which in turn connects to every cavity of every block above and below it. (I'm getting angrier as I type this.) So, you see my dilemna. I've patched concrete before, but not like this. Can't just patch over it...there's nothing to hold the concrete. If this were drywall, I could put a board in there to hold the compound. Is there a similar fix for my situation, but using concrete? Do I have to pour enough concrete in there to fill all the cavities of the blocks below it until I reach the heigth of the hole in question? If anyone has any information it would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-18-04, 02:44 PM
two kids
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Sintaks....dont worry this aint that tough....just stuff paperbags in the holes leave them bout 2 inches below the holes..... fill the 2 inches up let it dry then fill your holes....which if they are big holes you may have to do in stages but its not impossible......another thing you can do is mix your concrete filler a little bit sticky by adding less sand and it will hold better for you.

Hope this helps...if not let me know...Ill try and give you some more advanced answers

Old 09-18-04, 02:52 PM
S
So, when you say leave 2 inches, do you mean put the paper bags in let them fall into the cavity, leaving 2 inches on top... then fill with concrete in stages? Or do you mean put paper bags in and leave 2 inches from what would be the face of the wall? Sorry for the ignorance here.

Old 09-18-04, 07:49 PM
two kids
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by sinTAKS
So, when you say leave 2 inches, do you mean put the paper bags in let them fall into the cavity, leaving 2 inches on top... then fill with concrete in stages? Or do you mean put paper bags in and leave 2 inches from what would be the face of the wall? Sorry for the ignorance here.

Yes leave 2 inches on top of the bags then....fill that 2 inches up with mortar/concrete then let it dry then fill the rest of the cavity up.....if the entire cavity wont stay filled at one time depending on the size of hole then you will have to fill it a little bit at a time ...as much that will hold at one time.

if you have to fill it in stages then after it is all full....take and stucco over the entire opening and dip a soft brush in water and smooth out the stucco with it and paint over it and you should be good to go.

If you need anymore help let me know

USE MY EMAIL IF YOU NEED TO--BRICKMASON29@CHARTER.NET

Old 09-19-04, 09:48 AM
C
E-mail assistance

In general, more people benefit from discussions of problems and solutions when the exchanges are carried on in the forum rather than by private exchange. This is an opportunity for all to learn.

Old 09-19-04, 06:10 PM
two kids
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by chfite
In general, more people benefit from discussions of problems and solutions when the exchanges are carried on in the forum rather than by private exchange. This is an opportunity for all to learn.

Sorry ....I am use to christian forums where some go into private and finish a discussion .......THXS for the advice...I wont let it happen again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: