Drilling a Hole in Brick

Old 09-21-04, 04:23 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drilling a Hole in Brick

I need to run a new sump pump drain line out if the house. The first thing I want to make sure I do correctly is punch a hole through the brick. I also need to go through the wood bond (2x12) behind the brick which is resting on the top of the basement wall.

I'll be running 1 1/2" PCV. What tool(s) would you recommend to make this a clean job? I want to avoid disturbing any of the neighboring mortar joints. Thanks!!!

Old 09-21-04, 04:54 AM
Well, a 2 inch masonry bit(hammer drill) would work great, but that's probably not gonna happen.

I'd use a chisel and knock (break a brick in half), then use a hole saw for the wood. When the pipe is in place just mortar up the entire hole.

fred

Old 09-21-04, 07:19 AM
G
Thanks for the reply.

I have a 1/2 Milwaukee hammer drill. Is there a 2" masonry drill bit available? I had no idea! Wonder what the cost is?

The more I think about this, I wonder if I could use a small 3/8" bit and drill several small holes around the finished diameter of the hole and then knock it out with the chisel?

Old 09-21-04, 06:57 PM
Check at a rental store for the 2" masonry bit. Purchasing would be big bucks for one time use.

The multi-hole circular pattern has been suggested here in the past.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: