To maintain chimney or remove?

Old 09-27-04, 12:54 PM
1640kono
Visiting Guest
To maintain chimney or remove?

We do not use our brick chimney/fireplace because there is a sealed gas pipe in the fire place where there used to be a gas heater and because we don't have a need for it because it doesn't get so cold. I have been informed that the chimney is not stable (which is on the side of the house). Living in earthquake country, I would like to either repair it or remove it completely. I wanted to see if people could give me their advice on this: What are the benefits of keeping it and maintaining it and just completely removing it? Thanks.

Old 09-27-04, 03:48 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lose the Chimney if you can

Unless by removing the chimney you will negatively alter the architecture of the house, its usually in your best interest to get rid of it.

In my region, existing but unstable masonry chimneys are removed or capped in favor of direct vent fireplaces and power vented central heating furnaces, boilers and water heaters.

Much cheaper to reun a lateral vent than to rebuild and maintain a masonry chimney.

But if the chimney is necessary to keep the architectural integrity and property value of the home...keep it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: