retaining wall, frost and exposed foundation

Old 09-29-04, 10:40 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
retaining wall, frost and exposed foundation

We have been doing some major remodeling on our house this year.
We added a 24x24 addition to the house. Since the lot is on a big hill we were able to put the garage in the basement.

By doing this we have exposed the foundation of the existing house as you can see in the pictures. As i understand it we need to have 5 feet protected agaisnt the frost.

So i was thinking about building a 5 foot high retaining wall.
We were thinking about making it out of cinder blocks or anything that is not too expensive. We would also like to do the work ourselves.

In the pictures below you can see that the right side is staying up by itself.
On the left side it didnt slide, we put the slope there in order to get in the backyard with a backhoe. So the dirt does seem to stay up by itself, so i guess there wouldnt be much presure on the retaining wall.

I need some help on what i need to make the base of the retaining wall. what i can make the retaining wall of. if 5 foot is enough to protect the existing foundation. and any other info.

http://www.cutting-edge-designs.com/truck/wall1.jpg
http://www.cutting-edge-designs.com/truck/wall2.jpg

ps how do you post a pic?

Old 10-03-04, 04:37 PM
T
can anyone pls help?
anything?

Old 10-04-04, 05:47 AM
T
Hi Tina!!

I would think the easiest thing for a Homeowner to make a retaining wall from is a Inter-locking wall system. I would look for the System from a Building Block Supplier. These Blocks are extremely heavy and it will be back breaking work.

The Base consists of compact crushed stone.

Just one note: You had better check you local Building codes on this. I know in my City any retaining walls over 4' have to be designed or at least approved by a Engineer.

P.S. They have disable the feature to post Images. Seems they get hit by spammers and malicious individuals posting inappropriate materials.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: