Sidewalk mortar joint repair

Old 09-29-04, 01:47 PM
kdkrone
Visiting Guest
Sidewalk mortar joint repair

I have a brick sidewalk that was installed 12-14 years ago with a dry cement/sand mix that was then wetted down. A number of joints have deteriorated, perhaps aided by moss growing in them, and they are in need of repair before the winter.

I would like to repair the joints that have developed holes but I do not know the ins and outs of masonry. My thought is to pressure wash the joints, then purchase some mortar mix (Spec Mix has been recommended). I will fill the holes, then level the mortar with a trowel (which type? a thin rectangular one?). It is my understanding that to remove the white mortar that is left that I use acid. What kind and at what strength? How long do I leave it on? Do I wash the whole sidewalk (bricks and mortar) or just the bricks, attempting to keep the acid off of the mortar? How long do I allow the mortar to dry before I do an acid wash?

If there is a website that might be helpful, I would be grateful.

Thanks
Ken K

Old 09-29-04, 03:32 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here is a site that can cover your project. More than one of the links in the repair section is needed to cover it all, so I posted the whole page for you to review.

http://www.quikrete.com/diy/searchprojects.asp

Hope this helps.

Last edited by chfite; 09-29-04 at 08:45 PM. Reason: insert link
Old 09-30-04, 12:34 AM
kdkrone
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the post. If I choose to use a mortar mix to fix the problem, should I use a bonding glue? Or are Quikrete solutions the best solutions? I am not sure if I can find the product in my area but I will call their customer service...

Thanks
Ken K

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: